This is a cosy southside pub, jammed right next to the Peartree pub and the Counting House. It’s popular with locals, visitors and students and named after Thomas Blacklock, whose poems decorate the walls.
He’s mainly remembered for writing a letter to Robert Burns, dissuading him from going to the West Indies and indirectly saving his life as the ship sank on the voyage. He died at his home on the corner of Chapel Street and West Nicholson street in 1791, where The Blind Poet is now located. Literature lovers can raise a glass to Blackwood’s memory while reading his poems.
For other bookish boozers in Edinburgh see our 10 Edinburgh… Literary Pubs.