The statue of James Clerk Maxwell, revealed in 2008, was erected after a fundraising effort after the 175th anniversary of his birth. It was sculpted by Alexander Stoddart and cast by the Black Isle Bronze foundry in Nairn.
The James Clerk Maxwell statue, the first statue placed in George Street in over a century, was unveiled on 25th November 2008. The statue was erected in honour of Maxwell, the physicist who did revolutionary work on electricity and magnetism. It was paid for by a fundraising effort started after the 175th anniversary of his birth. The statue is of Maxwell holding his ‘colour top’, which is a spinning disc with sectors of coloured paper; the disc was used by Maxwell to investigate the physiology of colour vision which led him to demonstrate the world’ first colour photograph in 1861. The statue is located near Maxwell’s birthplace in India Street as well as the Royal Society of Edinburgh.