Luckenbooths

Luckenbooths

The Luckenbooths, sometimes known as the ‘locked booths’, were built around 1460 and were home to some of Edinburgh’s first permanent shops. They could be found to the immediate north of St Giles’ Cathedral from the 15th to the early 19th century.

Initially the Luckenbooths were home to skilled artisans such as gold and silversmiths, providing them with a permanent base for selling their wares, as opposed to the common form of selling goods at markets. Allan Ramsay ran a circulating library from one of the buildings, which was soon acquired by William Creech who used it as a base for publishing books including Robert BurnsPoems in 1787.