The City of Literature Trust is looking for new, emerging writers to read their work as part of Story Shop at the Edinburgh International Book Festival (EIBF) this August.
Story Shop is a free, un-ticketed event produced by the Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature Trust and will take place in the Book Festival’s Spiegeltent. It is a showcase for new writing and new writers from Edinburgh. Each day features one author, giving them a ten minute slot to read either two 4-5 minute 'flash fiction' pieces or one 8-10 minute piece of fiction. The idea is to give a free taster of your writing to a new audience.
Writers deciding to apply must be:
- Living or working in Edinburgh.
- Comfortable speaking in public.
- Not part of the EIBF 2012 programme.
- Available to appear once between 11-27th August.
- Available in July to complete the short training workshop, which we will provide.
Applications from newly published writers are particularly welcome (published meaning some form of peer reviewed publication – anthology, literary magazine, newspaper, novel or short story collection). Preference may be given to those with experience reading in public, and we will prioritise applicants who have not performed at Story Shop in previous years.
Each author featured will receive a small appearance fee, a public speaking workshop and their work will appear on the City of Literature website. Their event and author biography will feature on the City of Literature Trust website, Story Shop will be promoted via the Book Festival programme and entrance tent screens and a press release will be issued.
Send in a copy of the work which you would hope to read – around two A4 pages – and a short introductory note stating:
• if/where you have been published before.
• any public readings you have given in the past.
• your availability – you must be available between 3.30pm and 4.30pm on at least one day between 11-27th August 2012.
• we judge each piece on the quality of the writing, so please put the title of the story on your submission, but not your name. You should of course include your name on your covering letter.
Applications should be sent by email to Peggy Hughes, Communications Executive at the City of Literature Trust (firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Closing date for applications: Monday 14th May at 12 noon. Successful applicants will be contacted shortly thereafter. We do not accept submissions outwith the application timeframe.
City of Literature Event
Story Shop at the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2012
Free readings of micro-stories every day in the Spiegeltent from Sat 11 to Mon 27 August at 4pm. Drop by to hear a short reading from some of Edinburgh’s talented new emerging writers. Check the screen in the Entrance Tent each day to see who’s reading. For more about Edinburgh as a UNESCO City of Literature: www.cityofliterature.com.