Calling new, emerging writers! The City of Literature Trust is offering you the chance to read your work at the Edinburgh International Book Festival as part of the Story Shop this August.
Story Shop is a showcase for new writing and new writers from Edinburgh, produced by Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature Trust, which takes place every day – for free and un-ticketed – in the Book Festival’s iconic Spiegeltent. Each daily ten-minute slot features a new writer reading either two 4-5 minute ‘flash fiction’ pieces or one 8-10 minute piece of fiction.
Writers applying must be:
• Living or working in Edinburgh.
• Comfortable speaking in public.
• Not part of the EIBF 2014 main printed programme (Unbound participants will be considered).
• Available to appear once between 9th and 25th August 2014.
Applications from newly published writers are particularly welcome (published meaning some form of peer reviewed publication – anthology, literary magazine, newspaper, novel or short story collection). Preference may be given to those with experience reading in public, and we will prioritise applicants who have not performed at Story Shop in previous years.
Each author featured will receive a small appearance fee, a public speaking workshop and their work will appear on the City of Literature website. Their event and author biography will feature on the City of Literature Trust website, Story Shop will be promoted via the Book Festival programme and entrance tent screens and a press release will be issued.
How to Apply:
Send in a copy of the work which you would hope to read – don’t worry about word count, it should be something which fulfils the reading time – and a short introductory note stating:
• if/where you have been published before.
• any public readings you have given in the past.
• your availability – available 3.30-4.30pm on at least one day, 9th-25th August 2014.
• we judge each piece on the quality of the writing, so please put the title of the story on your submission, but not your name. You should, of course, include your name on your covering letter.
Applications or further enquiries should be emailed to Sarah Morrison, Communications Executive at the City of Literature Trust ([email protected]).
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on Monday 28th April 2014. Successful applicants will be contacted shortly thereafter. We do not accept submissions outwith the application timeframe.
See the writers who took part in last year’s Story Shop here.