Business Support: Funding
You can read more about the application criteria below.
Who can apply?
Funding is available to both public and private sector operators. It is also available to any organisation (including charities) already involved in literature, providing that the project they wish to fund is tourism related. Projects must be new and Edinburgh based. They must have tourist appeal. They should be innovative and financially sustainable.
Applications can be for as little as £100 or as high as £5000, as long as applicants meet the stipulated criteria and are able to contribute at least 20% of the project’s costs in cash.
Purpose of the Fund
The fund aims to support the “Edinburgh 2020 tourism strategy”. As such, it will focus on projects which strengthen Edinburgh’s appeal as a literary destination and thus broaden the city’s literary tourism.
The Literary Toursim Innovation Fund will support literary tourism product development. The fund supports research and development costs. These can be anything from small events or tourism trails to large scale initiatives, the only proviso is that they enhance the city’s literary tourism offering.
The Fund does not support consumer marketing activities.
Funding will be prioritised for projects which:
- Aim to enhance the experience for those who are already in Edinburgh
- Address a gap in the existing offering
- Complement the existing offering
- Have the potential to stimulate interest at key times
- Provide a long term asset for the literary tourism offering
- Allow the visitor to access literature/stories in a new way; such as through the innovative use of technology or a twist on the tradional style of tour
- Support or enhance the telling of the Edinburgh story through its literary heritage or theme
- Aim to attract more non-local visitors to the area
- Encourage visitors to stay longer and spend more
All projects must satisfy four key criteria:
1. They must be new Edinburgh based projects
2. They must have tourist appeal – as well as a strong literary connection, projects must be primarily designed to appeal to visitors to the city
3. They should be innovative – the funding can be used to support new ideas, trialling new experiences or the development and marketing of new offerings
4. They should be financially sustainable – projects must demonstrate long-term financial viability
What support is available?
In addition to financial support applicants will be able to consult with City of Literature Trust experts who can help inform and shape ideas, and, depending on the nature and scale of the project, applications may potentially be able to tap into specialist innovation support from Scottish Enterprise.
This support includes:
- Developing your ideas
- Refining your ideas
- Collaboration and working with others to enhance the offering
How to apply?
Fill out the application form and submit it to Edinburgh City of Literature Trust before 5pm on 31st March 2015.
It’s a simple, short form and all submission details are on it.
Edinburgh City of Literature Trust can offer advice and support. All the submission details are on the form itself. Likewise, if you’re not sure if you qualify or if you have an idea but aren’t sure how to take the next step, get in touch with the Trust via this website and they will chat it through with you.
Literary Tourism Innovation Fund Links