Opportunities aplenty at the moment for young emerging writers who are wanting to get their international travel on. This beaut of a project, Emerging Writer on Tour, is brought to you by the Vilencia International Literary Festival in cooperation with the Festival of World Literature and Cúirt International Festival of Literature.
Those three festivals are behind a lovely project called Read Me I am Yours, which includes an opportunity for young writers to go and work in a different country, engage with the local culture and create beautiful works which embrace the international.
Three writers will be selected for the Emerging Writer on Tour opportunity, offering the chance to work in Slovenia, Croatia and Galway. Meetings with publishers, translators and writers will be set-up to make this a truly transformative opportunity for the selected writers aged 35 and under.
Sounds like it could be for you? Please read on for details of how to apply and all the small print…
Conditions of entry
Applicants eligible for the Emerging Writer on Tour activity are writers from all genres under 35 (born from 1 January 1985 onwards) from countries participating in the Creative Europe Programme (Albania, Armenia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia, Ukraine, United kingdom).
The deadline for applications is 18 February 2019. Applications must be received in a PDF FILE by e-mail. The committee will consider entries sent on or before 18 February 2019.
Applications must be sent to:
The application must include the following obligatory enclosures:
1. A completed registration form.
2. A biography of the applicant in English (max. 1800 characters without spaces).
3. Copy of a valid ID or passport with the visible date and place of birth, and the citizenship of the applicant.
4. A bibliography of the applicant in English (max. 3600 characters without spaces).
5. A motivation letter/statement of intent about the applicant’s current project/work that outlines what she/he would like to develop within her/his residential stay (10 days each) in all 3 countries in English (2000 – 4500 characters without spaces). The project must be a literary work (all genres and themes), not a research project.
6. One original signed letter of recommendationin English from an established author/critic/professor/publisher (max. 1800 characters without spaces, letters without the original signature will not be considered).
Incomplete entries will not be considered.
The Slovenian Writers’ Association will use the data provided in the Registration form and in the obligatory enclosures to the Open call to verify the eligibility of the candidate’s entry.
We take the protection of personal data very seriously and treat personal data confidentially and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
1. The application form will be distributed through our partner festivals, embassies, PEN centers, writers’ associations, cultural centers, publishing houses, literary magazines, book foundations etc. and on the web-page of the Read Me I am Yours project partners.
2. The international committee including members from Slovenia, Croatia and Ireland will consider entries dated on or before 18 February 2019.
3. Entries will be evaluated according to the following criterion: 30% (3 points) for the bibliography, 50% (5 points) for the motivation letter (project description) and 20% (2 points) for the letter of recommendation.
4. All the applicants will be notified of the decision of the committee in the beginning of March
5. The selected authors will be officially notified and invited to all 3 festivals following the bellow pattern:
April 2019 at 34th Cúirt International Festival of Literature: author A
September 2019 at 34th Vilenica International Literary Festival: author A
September 2019 at 7th Festival of World Literature: author B, author C
April 2020 at 35thCúirt International Festival of Literature: author B, author C
September 2020 at 35th Vilenica International Literary Festival: author B, author C
September 2020 at 8th Festival of World Literature: author A
6. 60 days after completion of all three tours, the candidate must submit a written report in English (7200 – 9000 characters without spaces) by regular postal mail or e-mail to the Slovene Writers’ Association.
Questions may be sent via e-mail before the deadline to:
Slovene Writers’ Association/Društvo slovenskih pisateljev
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 00386 1 25 14 144